Home » Video & Gaming, Wireless

Apple’s iPhone 4 a massive leap in technology

By 7 June 2010 9 Comments

Apple’s iPhone 4 has been officially unveiled and the technology leap is staggering.  The good news for existing iPhone contract owners is that AT&T is letting them upgrade immediately.  The key things that caught my eye are:

• 960 x 640 3.5″ IPS display (Update: Apple faking 489 to 815 PPI on iPhone 4 ads)
  • “Face time” video conferencing using front or rear camera (see demo)
  • Better battery life while being narrower and nearly 25% thinner (see comparison)
  • Higher quality camera in back and the addition of a front camera
  • Faster A4 processor
  • Gyroscope for 6-axis motion sensing

The old iPhone 3G was getting very dated with its 480×320 resolution while smartphone competitors routinely implemented 800×480 OLED panels.   We’ve been so jaded by the futurist visions of Hollywood that it seemed like Dick Tracy watch phones would never come, but now it truly feels like we have arrived in the 21st century.  Video conferencing from the desktop or conferencing room was never all that compelling, but put that power in someone’s hands and it seems to have crossed some invisible threshold of usability and relevance.

Here’s a video from Apple highlighting the iPhone 4.

• Inyou Crash said:

Nothing Revolutionary, just enough to put the iPhone back to the front of the Pack.

I am curious to see if the Android competitors will be able to innovate faster than Apple. While I am using the term innovate here loosely, I hope people know what I mean.

Still, not a bad phone.

• George Ou (author) said:

I’d say it’s pretty revolutionary.

• Inyou Crash said:

Facetime is impressive, but I wonder what kind of connection is required for this kind of data transfer between phones. I can almost be certain that rural areas won’t have the ability to use this. I would assume that a strong 3G connection would be required.

Considering that netbooks can’t accomplish what a cellphone can, that is pretty radical.

• Nick Brown said:

Wireless only for FaceTime, Inyou Crash.

• Charles said:

The HTC Evo has video calling across the cellular network, not limited to WiFi (which is what iPhone4 is stuck with).

For more details see

iPhone4 looks very good, but it is not a game changer, just one small cycle in the leapfrog game. Others will make their move soon.

• GamerTex said:

The phone is not 4g?!?

Face Time only via WiFi (and still choppy)

It’s cool but I would of figured tmobile to put out a crappy phone like that (even though it looks awesome)

• GinoPanino said:

This article is ironic, right?

>“Face time” video conferencing using front or rear camera (see demo)

My three year old Nokia already had a front camera, so where is the leap in this?

>Better battery life while being narrower and nearly 25% thinner

…according to Apple! Nobody has yet tested the new battery. Also, enjoy not being able to exchange the battery when it’s all worn out…

>Higher quality camera in back and the addition of a front camera

Wow, 5MP camera! Never been done before!
    Wow, front camera! Never been done before!

So, where is your leap in technology now, hm?